When will I sign up for housing and what are my options?
- You will sign up for Housing beginning Mon, May 2nd, when the Study Away Confirmation Portal becomes available. You will enter your housing preferences there, along with other details such as your emergency contact and passport info. All items, including your $1000 housing reservation fee, will be due by Wed, June 15th (it is NOT first-come, first-serve). More information about the Portal will be made available on this blog. For more about housing options in Prague, please visit the Housing section of our web site.
What is the likelihood of securing a single room?
- There is a very limited number of single rooms available, which cannot be guaranteed. Students registered with the Henry and Lucy Moses Center for Students with Disabilities who are approved for a housing accommodation are given priority. Please look at their website for information about reasonable housing accommodations and what is evaluated when assessing need..
When will I receive my housing assignment?
- You can expect to be notified of your assignment approximately two weeks before the beginning of your program. You will receive you dorm name and room type; information about roommates will be provided when you arrive.
Can I choose my roommate(s)?
- Yes, you can request to live with other students of your choice. You will be able to do this when you fill out your housing preferences in the Study Away Confirmation Portal. Please make sure all students wanting to live together request one another. While we cannot guarantee we will be able to meet your request, we do make efforts to accommodate these requests where possible.
Can I find my own housing?
- All students are required to live in NYU provided accommodation. If, however, you have a mother, father, guardian, or adult sibling who permanently resides in an established family home in the vicinity of the academic center, you may be considered for an exemption from this policy. You can submit a letter of petition to email@example.com for consideration. Submitting a request does not guarantee exemption; appeals will be evaluated by a housing committee on a case by case basis, and you will be notified of a decision.
Am I able to cancel my NYU assigned housing, and will I receive a refund?
- The Housing License binds you for the entire period you will be enrolled at the site unless you submit a written cancellation request to the Office of Global Programs that meets particular conditions by the designated cancellation dates. All appeals are subject to the cancellation fee schedule. You can read the Housing License and cancellation fee schedule at www.nyu.edu/global/housing- details.
What if I don’t know anyone on the program?
- Don’t worry if you don’t know anyone else on the program. Many of the students who study abroad on our programs go independently and are looking to meet new people. In fact, most students who go report feeling comfortable abroad because of the small, intimate communities there. We’re confident that you’ll make friends and find your niche within your NYU program. We’ve created the NYU Prague Fall 2016 Facebook Group specifically for students to “meet” each other before the start of the semester. This is particularly helpful for students that are not in the NYC area who may not be able to attend pre-departure events. So make sure you join and don’t be shy! Once you arrive on site, various orientation activities will help you to further get to know your new classmates.